Engineering Education (MC 0218)
660 McBryde Hall, Virginia Tech
225 Stanger St.
Blacksburg, VA 24061
FAX (540) 231-6903
The Department of Engineering Education is home to General Engineering. All freshmen and transfer students admitted to engineering are admitted to General Engineering. Once specific course requirements have been completed, students become eligible to declare any of the 14 degree granting engineering majors offered at Virginia Tech.
- Any student currently in the College of Engineering that wishes to change into or add another engineering major should review the steps below.
- Any student not admitted to Virginia Tech as an engineering student should review the information here.
- Any student wishing to change out of engineering should review the information here.
Complete the change of major requirements
Review the application policies
Review the application dates (on the right side bar)
- All required coursework must be completed (not currently enrolled) and displayed with a final grade on the Virginia Tech Unofficial transcript at the time of application.
- Students using transfer credit to meet any of the course requirements must have the transfer credit posted on the Virginia Tech Unofficial transcript at the time of application.
- There may be a delay of weeks/months from Registrar’s receipt of the official transcript to having credit show on student’s transcript (viewed in Hokie Spa). Major changes will not be processed until all credits are official awarded and showing on Virginia Tech transcript, which may delay the student’s ability to submit a College of Engineering Change of Major Application.
- Students admitted to Virginia Tech as a transfer student must complete at least 12 hours of graded A-F coursework applicable to an engineering degree at Virginia Tech prior to application.
- Degree granting engineering majors accept applicants on a space-available basis.
- Applicants must have a minimum 2.0 overall Virginia Tech GPA at the time of application.
- Applicants with a minimum 3.0 overall Virginia Tech GPA at the time of application are guaranteed their first choice major.
- Applicants below a 3.0 overall Virginia Tech GPA at the time of application will be rank ordered according to GPA and placed in their first, second, or third choice based on space availability.
- Construction Engineering and Management requires students to complete an additional application process.
- Students must be in a degree granting major for one semester prior to declaring a secondary engineering major.
- Students can submit a College of Engineering Change of Major Application three times only.
- Once a student has exhausted their three application submissions they are no longer eligible to submit a College of Engineering Change of Major Application.
Change of Major Resources
End of Spring
May 19, 2014
May 26, 2014
End of Summer
August 13, 2014
August 20, 2014
End of Fall
December 31, 2014
January 7, 2015