612 McBryde Hall
(540) 231-6903 Fax
114F Randolph Hall
Office Hours Education Research Interests Experience
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 2007 M.S. Mechanical Engineering Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 2003 B.S. Mechanical Engineering University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 2000
|Title||Program||Start Date||End Date||Awarded Amount|
|Advancing Personalized Engineering Learning Via an Adaptive Concept Map (PI)||NSF DIVISION OF UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION||04/01/2011||03/31/2013||$198,753.00|
|Collaborative Research: Using Innovations in Cognitive Science to Monitor the Development of Design Thinking in Engineering Students (Co-PI)||NSF ENGINEERING EDUCATION||09/01/2009||08/31/2012||$111,080.00|
|A Mixed-Methods Study Of The Effects of First-Year Project Pedagogies on the Retention And Career Plans of Women in Engineering (Co-PI)||NSF: RESEARCH ON GENDER IN SCIENCE & ENGINEERING||11/01/2009||08/31/2012||$492,637.00|
|Building Connections Within the Engineering Education Research Community (Co-PI)||NSF: DIVISION OF ENGINEERING EDUCATION AND CENTERS||08/15/2008||07/31/2011||$367,154.00|
- Designing engineering curricula
- Customization of learning environment
- Effective use of technology in the classroom
Design Process and Methodology
- Design for additive manufacturing
- Prototyping in the design process
- Design for mass customization/product platform design
Rapid Prototyping / Additive Manufacturing
- Design and manufacture of customized products
- Design and manufacture of cellular materials
- Three-dimensional printing of cermanics and metals
- Environmentally benign prototyping
- ENGE 1114: Exploration of Engineering Design
- ME 2024: Engineering Design & Economics
Assistant Professor Virginia Tech 2008 - present NSF IGERT Research Fellow / Graduate Assistant Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 2003 - 2007 Teaching Associate Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA Fall 2001 Graduate Research Assistant Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 2000 - 2003 Undergraduate Research Scholar University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 1999 - 2000 HVAC Designer and Draftsman Affiliated Engineers SC, Inc., Gainesville, FL 1997 - 1998
- W. S. "Pete" White Award for Innovation in Engineering Education, Virginia Tech (2011)
- The Charles "Butch" and Joan Nunnally Outstanding Engineering Education Faculty Member Award, Virginia Tech (2011)
- Emerald Engineering Outstanding Doctoral Research Award, Additive Manufacturing (2010)
- Best Paper Finalist, ASEE Design in Engineering Education Division (2010)
- Best Poster Presentation Award, 20th International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium (2009)
- Dean's Award for Outreach Excellence, Virginia Tech College of Engineering (2009)
- Virginia Tech Scholar of the Week (2008)
- Best Paper Award, ASME IDETC 13th Design for the Life Cycle and Management Conference (2008)
- National Science Foundation IGERT Graduate Research Fellowship (2003 – 2005)
- Georgia Tech Presidential Fellowship (2000 – 2004)
- University of Florida Outstanding Student (2000)
- University Scholars Program Fellowship, University of Florida (1999 – 2000)
- Florida "Bright Futures" Academic Scholarship, University of Florida (1996 – 2000)
Williams, C.B., Mistree, F., Rosen, D.W. (2011; at press), "A Functional Classification Framework for the Conceptual Design of Layered Manufacturing Technologies," Journal of Mechanical Design.
Williams, C.B., Rosen, D.W., Cochran, J. (2010), "Three-Dimensional Printing of Metallic Cellular Materials," The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 53(1), 231-239.
Illardo, R., Williams, C.B. (2010), “Design and Manufacture of a Formula SAE Intake System Using Fused Deposition Modeling and Fiber-Reinforced Composite Materials,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, 16(3), 174-179.
Sarles, S. A., Stiltner, L. J., Williams, C.B., and Leo, D.J. (2010), “Bilayer formation between Lipid-Encased Hydrogels Contained in Solid Substrates,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2(12), 3654-3663.
Williams, C.B., McNair, L.D., Crede, E.D., Paretti, M.C., and Terpenny, J.P. (2010), “Designing Hands-On Teaming Activities for Courses with Large Enrollments: Exploring Sustainability Tradeoffs,” International Journal of Engineering Education, 26(2), 408-417.
Goff, R., Williams, C.B., Terpenny, J.P., Gilbert, K., Knott, T., and Lo, J. (2010), “ROXIE: Real Outreach Experiences in Engineering – First-Year Engineering Students Designing for Community Partners,” International Journal of Engineering Education, 26(2), 349-358.
Williams, C.B., Crede, E.D., Goff, R., and Terpenny, J.P. (2010), “Effects of Student – Customer Interaction in a Cornerstone Design Project,” ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Louisville, KY, Best Paper Finalist, Design in Engineering Education Division.
Williams, C.B., Allen, J.K., Rosen, D.W., Mistree, F., (2006), “Designing Platforms for Customizable Products and Processes in Markets of Non-Uniform Demand,” Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications – Special Issue on Managing Modularity and Commonality in Product and Process Development, Eds. Jiao, J., Gershenson, J. K., Michalek, J. J., 15(2), 201-216.
Williams, C.B. & Mistree, F., (2006), “Empowering Students to Learn How to Learn: Mass Customization of a Graduate Engineering Design Course,” International Journal of Engineering Education, 22(6), 1269-1280.